Monday, May 9, 2011

DBW Day 1 - Admiring our differences.

Day #1 of Diabetes Blog Week:

Admiring our differences - Monday 5/9: We are all diabetes bloggers, but we come from many different perspectives.  Last year, Diabetes Blog Week opened my eyes to all of the different kinds of blogs (and bloggers) out there – Type 1s, Type 2s, LADAs, parents of kids with diabetes, spouses of adults with diabetes and so on.  Today let’s talk about how great it is to learn from the perspectives of those unlike us!  Have you learned new things from your T2 friends?  Are D-Parents your heroes?  Do LADA blogs give you insight to another diagnosis story?  Do T1s who’ve lived well with diabetes since childhood give you hope?  Pick a type of blogger who is different from you and tell us why they inspire you - why you admire them - why it’s great that we are all the same but different!!

What a wonderful subject.  I will confess that I mostly read other D Mama blogs... however, if you look at my blogroll, you will see I have two columns.  One column is for blogs like mine... blogs of parents that are living with type 1 diabetes through their children.  The other column is for the blogs out there that absolutely fascinate me... blogs of adults (and a teen) that have Type 1.  Reading their posts and seeing Type 1 through their perspective is not only educational for me, but inspirational.  At the age of 4, Sugar Boy is just now getting to where he can tell me some of what he feels.  By reading these blogs... blogs that are written by people that I both admire and find immensely entertaining... I am able to better read some of the thoughts and emotions that I see cross Sugar Boy's face.  I am able to understand more what he thinks and feels and what living with this disease really means for him.  I will never fully know, of course...and that hurts my heart in ways that I cannot explain.  But it does help to have the glimpses that these amazing bloggers offer me. 

So, any PWD bloggers that may be reading this right now... THANK YOU!  Thank you for the gift of your insight... thank you for giving me hope that my son can grow into a happy adult who lives well with diabetes.  I know sometimes it can not be easy to pull the feelings that you have out and translate them into the words that we read... but as a D Mama who so desperately needs to understand this disease in every way possible, it truly means the world that you do it!

8 comments:

  1. You're back!!! It's so nice to read Sugar Kids again! :)

    I'm right there with you, thanking the PWD bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :0) WooooHooo! Good the hear from you ... and ... yes, I agree. The PWD Bloggers put words and thoughts and formulations to what our children may be going through and they provide insight. I am thankful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo your sentiments! Thank you PWD bloggers!!

    And nice to "see" you again Donna!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know!!!! PWD bloggers are the best!!! I'm so glad to have them to learn from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of Mamas lovin the PWD today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same. I am so grateful for the insight that the PWD bloggers provide!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love me some PWD too!
    Hmmm - - - that sounds a little dirty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And in my Admiration post, I send the love right back to the D-Parents - because you give me insights into how my parents felt as they took care of me. I think they hid a lot of the burden - actually I know they did, and probably still do. So thank you!!

    ReplyDelete